Abbotsford Course

Information about the courses around the Province, changes, closures, damage, clubs, fundraising, etc...

Abbotsford Course

Postby Bougie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:27 am

A group of friends and I are in the process of bringing forth a proposal to the city of Abbotsford for the construction of a disc golf course in the area.

We are looking for any volunteers and sponsors in the area that we can add to our list to show local support. If anyone has advice on what to include in the proposal, that would also be great.
Bougie
I'm shy

Postby Brendan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:55 am

Here is a link to a great proposal for a course in Nelson BC. They did all their homework and put together a great proposal. Get some local businesses to sponsor holes and gather some letters of support from other community leaders and local politicians or rec. coordinators that already have courses. The last few pages of the proposal are support letters.
The City of Rossland had a small core group of disc golfers that walked around their town to local businesses and within 2 days had enough money from local businesses to sponsor and pay for 9 holes which they eventually made into 18. Good luck on the proposal and hopefully there will be a new course in Abbotsford.

http://nelsondiscgolf.org/proposal/nov152010-final.pdf
Last edited by Brendan on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Brendan
Getting comfortable

Postby Bougie » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:48 am

This is great, thank you for sharing this link.
Bougie
I'm shy

Postby Brendan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:47 am

You can also contact the Kamloops Disc Golf Club as they are pioneers in the application process and a really great club. www.kdgc.com
Brendan
Getting comfortable

Abbotsford Course

Postby Boomer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:21 pm

Is there an unofficial course you're playing in Abbotsford?

Where was the Sumas Mountain course?
Any chance of reviving it? even if just for a
day? golfers could bring portable baskets and
targets to replace missing ones.

If Clearbrook Park is where you're hoping to propose a
course for city approval, contacting these guys might be
useful. They went through process to get an RC area in
Clearbrook Park approved.
http://scalebuildersguild.com/forum/sho ... k-APPROVED!
Last edited by Boomer on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boomer
Relaxed

Postby Bougie » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:41 pm

We did build one on sumas mnt a few yearss back, with hanging wooden targets. It soon got overgrown and mountain bikers stole some of the targets to fix some of their ramps. So short anwser is no, not at the moment. I am thinking of placing makeshift targets on the east end of clearbook park.
Bougie
I'm shy

Postby The Daily Show » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:46 pm

I live in abby and I would be happy to help. I did contact the city about getting a course and they were in the process of exploring putting a course in at clear brook park, but about three months ago I was contacted by a planner for the city and they told me the plans for clear brook park are not happening do to "neighborhood concerns" ...just another reason why I hate this city.

A sumas mountain course would be outstanding though, I think about iteverytime I drive through the new road that connects Watcom to McKay
The Daily Show
Long time reader, first time poster

Postby Bougie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:45 am

I have a meeting with parks and recs of Abbotsford on the 13th of July to discuss the past clearbrook park proposal and bringing it back to life, and of other possible locations.
If anyone would like to add their name to our list of support please forward me your name and some contact info (phone and/or email). You don't need to be from abby to add your name, the more we have the better.

I will also discuss having a demo/showcase of the sport at the clearbrook location to invite to neighbours for them to actualy understand what the sport is. Getting in touch with local people with targets would be great.

Lets keep this topic going, and get more people involved.
Bougie
I'm shy

Postby Bougie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 am

Our meeting with the city of Abbotsford went really well, things are looking promising for at least a 9 holes course to be built in the near future.

We, Fraser Valley Disc Golf , with the help of the city will be having a showcase of the sport by setting up a temporary course on the grounds of the proposal to help gain neighbourhood support and get more people playing this great game.

If you would like to be involved let me know and I'll send more info when it becomes available to me.
Bougie
I'm shy

Re: Abbotsford Course

Postby markklassen » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:32 pm

I'd love to see this finally happen. After we initially made this proposal to the Parks and Rec department and had the project approved by the council, it was a shame to see the funding dry up. I'm really glad to see that somebody has picked up the torch. For now, I'll be focusing on the potential Mission course.
markklassen

Re: Abbotsford Course

Postby markklassen » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:46 pm

With the Abbotsford Parks Department under new leadership, we've been able to re-initiate the process, and so there could still be some hope.
markklassen

Return to Courses