Should Duck Golf be converted to B or C tier PDGA events?

Discussion of anything Duck Golf related

Should Duck Golf be converted to B or C tier PDGA events?

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:36 pm

I started this on the tag board but feel it deserves a posting here so that it can be properly discussed. Without further ado...the pros and cons:

Pros:
- Get a PDGA rating more easily by limiting the need to travel to tournaments in the US
- Get PDGA points more easily in order to qualify for tournaments in the US

Cons:
- Increased cost of tournament play for non PDGA members
- No benefit realized from extra fees paid
- Discourage player participation for those on a tight budget

The Duck Golf series was started in order to raise the level of disc golf played in BC. This was done by encouraging tournament play without the high fees associated with tournaments stateside. Over the years, this goal has been accomplished. Many of the golfers playing today have developed their game while participating in Duck Golf Series events. I believe that this mandate of reasonable fees combined with committed volunteers who run these tournaments should be kept as is.

There are already PDGA sanctioned events held in BC. If more are required, the DG series is not the venue for this. The DG series tournaments are run during the winter months and can occur during the heaviest "duck" weather imaginable. Does anybody really think that top level US players will come to a DG series event in the middle of winter to play for a couple of hundred bucks as a payout? Let the summer months, (when there is a stronger likelihood of attracting top quality golfers), be the season for PDGA sanctioned events.

Of the 27 PDGA registered members from BC, only a handful have played more than a few PDGA tournaments. Many have only the Canadian Nationals as the tournament played, (which required PDGA membership in order to play). Of the 27 PDGA members, only half are regular DG series players. So who is this really benefiting? Fifteen players max? Excuse me if I am wrong, but I feel that the rest of us are essentially subsidizing these players in their quest for points that will allow them to play in tournaments south of the border.

I am not against the PDGA and realize that having tournaments affiliated with this organization raises the profile of the sport and gives the BC Disc Golf organization a legitimacy in the eyes of municipalities etc.

I am sure that there are many more pros and cons other than the ones I have listed. Please feel free to post away and tell me I am wrong, (or right).

Peter
Peter
I'm shy

Re: Should Duck Golf be converted to B or C tier PDGA events

Postby Craig Sheather » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:46 am

Peter: I dont disagree with anything you said. I was part of the group who had to wrestle with this.

95% of what we do is for recreational and local players only as a Society. Board was approached by a member who was a very involved and engaged who seemed to speak for a small but committed group of players. We were asked to consider this at the beginning of last years duck golf and in the end we said YES we would run a pilot but we never got it off the ground last year.

This year we agreed to do it. There is a group of players trying to qualify for Worlds in Portland in 2014. This will be helpful to them and the majority of Open players are PDGA already this year. Because of the way PDGA works with memberships that come in at the end of the year you will get all of 2014 as well is my guess.

We have done these kinds of things in the past. Advanced Masters is a good example. For those who were not around at the time it was campaigned for by a small group of players. In the end it has grown the sport for older players who are just getting into the sport late. Who knows how this will effect it. Not doing anything though will probably mean we wont get any different results then we have in the past which means a very small group of open players, no real development, and little to no representation of our Province in the biggest events in the world of DG.

Our Society is here to expand all aspects of the sport and those who want to compete at the highest level is one of the most committed membership groups. I think they deserve our collective support as well.

As for the affordability side. There is a lot of free to almost free golf out there. I suggest anyone who wants to come to all these events and can't afford the $50 it is going to cost to compete in Open Men may want to chat with a PDGA member to ask how the value is returned to them. I think you will find it is worth it. For the one time players it will cost more. This is true but our fee structures have always been based on growing the sport and recruiting new people. If you wanting to play Open Men you are not new to the sport and are probably already under the tent.

One thing not everyone knows is the amount of cash the PDGA has given back to Disc Golf in BC. Almost every dime is returned in the form of course development grants. Kelowna, Whistler, and the BCDSS through BC Open have all received cash or donations directly from PDGA Canada in the last year. In fact I think there are sending us more money then we are putting in right now.

I'm not trying to convince you you are right or wrong just adding to the discussion with some of the things I weighed when supporting this decision that I didn't see reflected in your comments.
Craig Sheather
Getting comfortable

Postby Peter » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:12 am

Craig, your initial statement says it all:

Board was approached by a member who was a very involved and engaged who seemed to speak for a small but committed group of players.

I just feel that there must be other ways of supporting this small group of committed players...
Peter
I'm shy

Postby Craig Sheather » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:18 am

Yes. At the time it was an opinion that was reflective of a very small group, like maybe three people. Since then I have been present when many Open Mens groups have discussed this and I believe there was an overwhelming sentiment to go this way. It won't stop people from playing and it will effect only one division. It is a pilot only. If it isn't seen as something that people don't want who play in the division then obviously it will be dropped. We will see.

Maybe I will give you another example of a small group of people being served by the BCDSS.

I was approached the other day by an individual who wanted the BCDSS to pay for the replacement of a basket that was vandalized on their course. I wonder why this individual thought that the BCDSS would be in a position to support the interests of this very small group of players especially since so few are members of the BCDSS?

I'm sure the request is on the next agenda and I doubt we will not be helpful to that small group of people as well. As we have with so many others.

If you think you the board is not fairly representing its membership and would like to make a contribution to the BCDSS through leadership then you are welcome to put forward your name for the next board. I think you would be a great member of the team and we would be excited to see you join us.
Craig Sheather
Getting comfortable

Postby Peter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:57 am

I was approached the other day by an individual who wanted the BCDSS to pay for the replacement of a basket that was vandalized on their course. I wonder why this individual thought that the BCDSS would be in a position to support the interests of this very small group of players especially since so few are members of the BCDSS?

That's apples and oranges Craig...how are basket(s) replacement requests on public courses equivalent to fundamentally altering a local series event in a way that affects many players?
Is is not in the interests of the BCDSS to have all public courses maintained and functional regardless of the membership status of the individual playing it?
I seem to remember many great tournaments being held at the "under utilized" Jericho DG course.

I go back to my original point, I feel that the DG series is not the venue for our elite touring pro's to garner more points for qualification at World's.

Some alternate ideas to help support our touring pros:
Fundraiser tournaments
Sell fundraiser discs
50/50 draws at all tournaments
More PDGA tourneys held during summer months

In reading Jesse's previous post, there is already a PDGA summer series of 6 tournaments in the works! Jesse wrote:
-There will be a pdga best of 6 summer series next summer
Peter
I'm shy

Postby DJWhite » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:53 pm

Of course it should, "you cant keep the duck golf down"!
DJWhite
Long time reader, first time poster

Return to Duck Golf