Playground of the Gods

Information about the courses around the Province, changes, closures, damage, clubs, fundraising, etc...

Playground of the Gods

Postby Boomer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Sept 2014: The experimental tonals left up there have lasted through winter, spring
and now summer and we've had no problems bringing in the rest of the temp baskets
and tonals for layouts similar to the Feb 18th 2012 map below. Labour Day we had the
course to ourselves for a 15 hole version played once as doubles and a 2nd tag round.

from Nov 2013:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18 doubles players and 10 casual players got in one round before we packed up due to rain/snow.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sat Apr 17th 2010 at the Playground of the Gods on Burnaby Mountain.

Over a dozen in light rain starting soon after 11, played 2 rounds of the 13 holes without a break (obviously
a youngster's idea) in a near empty park. The Hank & Dave duo got -16 for the 26 holes. A third round
where everyone but me picked up the targets and tape (thanks guys) in a still near empty park. Friday had
sunbathers, families with badminton set ups and even 3 hang gliders filling up the park.
April 17, 2010
-------------------------------
On Mar 5th, '10 the Globe and Mail had an article on the Playground of the Gods in Japan
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/travel/ski-central/in-japan-schussing-among-the-spirits/article1491248/
------------------------------
All pictures were copied from online sources like Bby Parks & Flickr.

Burnaby Mountain is a spectacular venue for a course. It's close by, only 10 minutes from Robert Burnaby.

-----------------------------
You won't mind standing there waiting for your partners to throw with views like this:
----------------------------
and this:
---------------------------
Last edited by Boomer on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:50 am, edited 26 times in total.
Boomer
Relaxed

Playground of the Gods

Postby Boomer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:14 pm

This is a map of a natural objects course I've used.

The first hole for example tees from Lovers Lane of the rose garden
(so you can check the view towards Port Moody)
with the target being a 20X30 ft mosaic on the ground the disc needs to land in.

There's an over 200 meter downhill shot to a telephone pole

and when there's no pedestrians - a 340' shot from the "Edge of a Continent" bench near the Tancho crane eco-sculpture (so you can check the view up Indian Arm)
to the base of the sculpture pointing to our sister city, Kushiro, Japan.
Image Image
Last edited by Boomer on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Boomer
Relaxed

Playground of the Gods

Postby Boomer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Everyone is a god and everyone should have their own playground, put together some tonals and make your own ideal course. I use what Home Depot calls 16" X 36" JOIST LINING 30GA (1000-403937) sell for $4.58 ea. and 3/8"wingnut & 2.5"bolts for $1.43ea and 8 ft spruce 1"X 2"s for $1.38 ea. What makes it work is being generous with the glue. Glue along the seam of the joist lining and reinforce the screws with glue and glue on the top of the stakes for hammering. 9 targets can be made for less than $100 and I find them really convenient to use, can carry 4 at a time, they cost so little I don't worry about vandalism, theft or impounding.

Boomer
Relaxed

Permanent install?

Postby chaddydaddy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:20 am

A contest is running currently to win 9 baskets...

"This year's prized Mach III Deluxe Disc Pole Holes are powder coated in a Limited Edition Scarlet Red"

Draw date coincides with the Am Worlds (June 28 - July 3)... if either Nev, Eric, or Hector manage to win, it'd be extra nice to have these to bring back with them!

To enter, buy a disc... it's a slightly-overpriced fundraiser disc to support the Am World's tourney this year.

You get a golden (red actually) ticket for a chance at these bad-askets!!

If that seems good, think how great they'd look on top of Burnaby Mountain (as seen here - SPECTACULAR) at this Playground of the Gods?

If that seems like a good idea... buy a disc, and we increase the odds of it happening LOCALLY.

Not only a sweet course but right in the perfect spot... right between Burnaby and Mundy and close driving distance from Surrey (but everywhere really since the highway's right there). It would be easy for this course to be supported by many of us - me for sure! I'm near there almost daily

If this course were to somehow happen, it would be incredible - and could be a real hub for PDGA action in the area...

But that's way ahead of myself... looking forward to Saturday Boomer!

I wish I got some commission for these sales! boo

http://www.discgolfassoc.com/tournament ... aiser.html
chaddydaddy
Getting comfortable

Postby BBurbee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:54 pm

I see there is a good deal of excitement surrounding Burnaby Mountain/The Playground of the Gods.

You can call me over-cautious, but I want to encourage everyone to stay away from the Playground itself.

Those wooden pillars are not just trees; there will more than likely be negative ramifications should it become apparent that they are being damaged.

The wood is not treated like a telephone pole, it is soft and can be gouged pretty badly if hit at high speeds. Even low speed discs will mark them on the right angle and over time.

I would hate to see a ban on disc sports in Burnaby Mountain Park because of some careless play.

If there is a slim chance of ever putting in a permanent course, there won't be any chance if we screw it up.

That said, it is also very important that we are respectful of the Restaurant and its gardens, the deadly drop of past the north fence line, and the many park users and passing cyclists that use the trails.

This is a far more busy park than any we've done a temporary set up in to this date; especially because of the time of year and weather.

Enjoy the park and the views, but don't forget that discs can be dangerous.

We will all suffer if something bad happens as a result of one careless act.

Brent
BBurbee
Getting comfortable

Postby Anonymous » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:13 pm

Just amasing... look at that panorama...
Anonymous

Re: Playground of the Gods

Postby Boomer » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:59 am

Sept 2014: The experimental tonals left up there have lasted through winter, spring
and now summer and we've had no problems bringing in the rest of the temp baskets
and tonals for layouts similar to the Feb 18th 2012 map. On Labour Day we set up a 15
hole version of the layout and had the course to ourselves for the day.

from Sept 2013
Boomer
Relaxed

Re: Playground of the Gods

Postby chaddydaddy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:34 pm

When's the next round up there?? Let's do it :)
chaddydaddy
Getting comfortable

Return to Courses